Workers’ Compensation

There may be instances when an incident may result in a workers’ compensation claim. 

The Workers’ Compensation Program provides benefits to employees who sustain work-related injuries and/or contract occupational diseases while carrying out the duties and responsibilities of their employment.  A Third-Party Administrator (TPA), contracted by the state of North Carolina, accepts or denies liability for a workplace injury or illness. The Workers’ Compensation Administrator (WCA) in the Office of Risk Management and Insurance works to ensure all claims for Workers’ Compensation are reported appropriately and for monitoring the claims.  For detailed information, please review  University Policy 101.7: Workers’ Compensation.

To ensure sufficient time to initiate a workers’ compensation claim, you must report a work-related incident to your supervisor immediately (same day) by completing and signing the Employee Incident Report located on the Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) website.  Once completed please ensure that the original, printed form, and all medical information, is forwarded to the Office of Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) via mail or email to

Contact Information:

Angela Allen

Workers’ Compensation Manager

Ph: (704) 687-0681

Fax: (704) 687-6789

If you are involved in an incident that requires medical treatment:


For more detailed information on the Workers’ Compensation process refer to the following links: 


  • If medical treatment is needed, please escort the employee to the Student Health Center (SHC).  Ensure you have signed the Employee Incident Report form authorizing treatment for the work-related injury and provide the form to the SHC staff.
  • If the Student Health Center is closed, consult with the appropriate Medical Providers Authorized for Work-Related Injuries.  
  • After treatment is rendered, return the employee to work in accordance with the instructions provided by the medical provider, and document necessary transitional duty assignments in the Transitional Duty or Fitness for Duty Form.

For more detailed information on the Workers’ Compensation process refer to the following links:

Workers’ Compensation Leave

If an accident is determined to be compensable:

  • When an employee is injured on the job as the result of a compensable accident and loses time from work due to injury, the employee shall not be charged leave for time lost from work on the day of the injury.
  • If the injury results in additional time away from work, the employee must be placed on workers’ compensation leave and be paid the workers’ compensation weekly benefit after the required waiting period (currently seven calendar days).
  • The supervisor of an employee who loses time from work as the result of a job-related injury must notify the Workers’ Compensation Administrator of the occurrence immediately
  • The Workers’ Compensation Administrator (WCA) will provide the injured employee the Workers’ Compensation Employee Handbook and explain the options available to cover the required waiting period before weekly benefits are paid. At the same time, the WCA will send written notification to the employee’s supervisor (with copy to the appropriate Department Chair or Director, if applicable) and the Payroll Section that the employee has been placed on workers’ compensation leave.
  • Once a supervisor receives notification from the WCA that the injured employee has been placed on workers’ compensation leave, leave accounting for the employee is coordinated with the Supervisor and Human Resources.

Return to Work

Upon release by the treating physician to return to work, the employee must contact the WCA before returning to the job and provide a return to work note from the authorized treating physician. Supervisors are responsible for ensuring that employees returning from workers’ compensation leave have written authorization from the WCA to return to work. Once the supervisor receives the employee’s authorization to return to work, leave accounting for the employee passes from the supervisor back to the employee.

  • Any further absence for workers’ compensation medical follow-up or other workers’ compensation activity must be documented on the Employee’s Time Record by the employee and approved by the supervisor.